My view of an imperfect but wonderful life

Monday, June 23, 2008

Unfolding the Rose


"When God unfolds the Rose
He always gets it right
When the petals are in place
It's such a beautiful sight
He knows when to hold on
And the perfect time to let go
So let God have His way
And watch God unfold the Rose"

That has to be one of my favorite songs. I have been singing it a lot lately, and when Sister Trevino sang it Friday night at Camp Meeting it really hit me hard.

I capitalized the "r" in Rose for a reason. Most of you know that my middle name is Rose, so I was personalizing the song to me :) It is so hard to just "let go and let God" sometimes. I think that is what I struggle with the most. I have found it so easy to just sit around and let the world and just everything pass me by while I wait for... who knows what, My future maybe? At times it can honestly be the hardest struggle of a Christian, waiting on God. The saying my grandpa used to say is so true "It is hard to live for God easy, but it is easy to live for God hard." I am still working on the latter part. I have felt so many times that "my prayers didn't even reach the ceiling of my room". I have wanted for my life to be so much more in so many ways and have tried to rush through it. I know I know, I am only 22, but it is hard at any age. I just can't help sometimes trying to pull open the petals of my Rose. But, thankfully only minor damage has been done. I understand that only God knows when to let go, so I just gotta keep telling my self to hold on!

"So I'll just keep praying and holding on by faith
Knowing God is working all things for my good,
And I'll wait like a rosebud in the garden
For only God can unfold the rose"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true my dear so true! Wasn't that song so powerful? It has never hit me like it did that night! Yes you are young...we are young, but this is probably the most important time for us to get ahold of the message and not let it go. "By the fruits" "and sell them not" =)

Nila said...

My darling Erica Rose. I know how you're feeling, because I too felt that way when I was in my mid twenties. There was even a time in my life when I felt like God had forgotten to unfold my life. The waiting room is the hardest room to be in at any age. Believe that He will work all things for your good, then trust Him, even when everything looks hopeless. You and your friends are beautiful examples, and your lives will encourage the next generation. I'm praying for you, my Rose

Bekki said...

That song did something for me that night too. It seems like I have been 'in the waiting room' for a whole lot of this year. And it's not an exciting waiting period, it's more the pacing type: putting one leaded foot in front of the other. I have doubted so many times that God heard my prayers. But at the exact time I need it, God seems to do something to reassure me that He is still there and hasn't forgotten me and my darkness. When all of this first started Brother Jonathan Mullings preached a message that has tided me over through this whole thing called: Silent Night. It was before Christmas, but he said that this isn't a good silent night... it's a time when God is silent in the night time of your life. It was awesome, and a God thing =) I think though, that it will be amazing to look back when we are further along, or our lives further 'unfolded,' to see what amazing things God had in mind when we were waiting. . .

Katie Booker said...

Erica,
God has everything under control. Seems as though alot of us are sitting in "the waiting room" as mom called it. We each have our reasons for being there. Thankfully God can deal with each and every one and he always does it in his PERFECT time.
Your life is going to unfold one of these days into a GREAT story. And then you will look back and say WOW...its already been 10 years since I felt that way.
We love you!!! =)
Keep on believing..and holding on by faith!