My view of an imperfect but wonderful life

Monday, January 3, 2011

God's in His Heaven

My all time favorite quotes have been from Anne of Green Gables. And anyone that knows me knows how much I absolutely ADORE Anne Shirley and the genius who decided to bring her into existence. One quote that I tend to re-quote a lot is "God's in His heaven and all's right with the world." However, I never fully understood that phrase until this last year.

As I said in my last post, 2010 was a rough year. Both of my parents were sick, my best friend's daddy died, and two of my close friends died. Those are just the most tragic moments of 2010 for me, there were quite a few others, but those were some of the hardest things for me to deal with.

When I received the call in October and then in November of the car accidents that took the lives of these people who played such fundamental roles in my life (one of whom played a part in the birth of and raising of my non-biological twin, and the other two who became family to me while I lived in Pennsylvania over the summer) the first thing that came to my mind for both was "Why God???" I know that this is the same thing that went through the minds of each family member of those three precious people. I know I am not truly family to any of them, yet it still affected me greatly.

The thing that most people struggle with while grieving is bitterness. I would constantly ask "why them God??" But I know God does everything for a purpose, although we will never know this purpose until we see Bro Simpson, Josh and Kristen again in heaven.

I know you're wondering what my quote had to do with any of this. Yes God is in His heaven, but no, nothing is going right in our world. Or so it seems. But when I say that phrase, although NOTHING seems to be going right in my world, my daddy is still sick, my friends are still gone, my mom is overwhelmed and I'm not even there to help her... Even though all this is so painful to me, I still have that reassurance in knowing that God is there through it all, good and bad, looking down upon every situation, wanting to be able to walk us through each problem. God IS in His heaven and when nothing seems to go right, when you realize that though your world is turned upside down; with God by your side, it is a comfort to know that even though all is not right in your world, God will always be right in your world.

The Road is Rough

The road is rough I said, dear Lord,
There are stones that hurt me so;
And He said, dear child I understand,
I walked it long ago...
But there is a cool, green path I said,
Let me walk there for a time;
No child He gently answered me,
The green road does not climb.

My burden I said is far too great,
How can I bear it so?
My child said He, I remember its weight,
I carried my cross you know.
But I said I wish there were friends with whom would make my way their own,
Oh yes, He said, Gethsemane was hard to face alone.

And so I walked that stony path
Content to know,
That where my Master had not gone,
I would not need to go...

And strangely then I found my friends,
The burden grew less sore,
As I remembered long ago, that He had
Walked that way before.....

2 comments:

Pierce Household said...

•"It's all very well to read about sorrows and imagine yourself living through them heroically, but it's not so nice when you really come to have them, is it?"
- Anne of Green Gables


I am so thankful God IS in heaven!

Unknown said...

Erica dear, what a precious blog. It's so hard to just trust in His ways, knowing He has a plan & a purpose. Don't ever forget that. And I love your blogs!!